Thursday, July 26, 2012

Currently...

I have finally made it back after a crazy three weeks. I've moved into my apartment and almost everything has gone wrong. I laugh now, but seriously, can I catch a break? We've had issues with the moving van, the washing machine, and the cable and Internet. We haven't had Internet the whole time we've been here and as off 9 pm last night it was up and running. Facebook never looked so pretty.

As far as school goes, I'm actually not as stressed out this quarter as I thought I'd be. I'm very proud of myself in being ahead on due dates and getting things done well ahead of time. Speech is...well...alright I guess. I'm not the public speaker I would like to be by now but it's coming. Today, in fact, I'm doing an informative speech on Dreamland BBQ. Since I work there, it shouldn't be as hard. Then again, the last speech was on myself and I still managed to bomb it.

Kitchen and Bath Design is by far my favorite lecture class so far at VC. I've always been attracted to kitchens and baths more than any other room. The history is by far the most interesting. Learning what brought about a bathroom and a kitchen is quite the amusement. We're doing a refresh project in our instructor's home and not having all the dimensions is frustrating. I'm not enjoying it, but sooner than later it will all sort itself out.

Commercial II is coming along great. If I could locate and order the rest of my samples that would be nice. I'm going out of town next weekend so I have to get my furniture plan turned in beforehand. Shouldn't be that bad, I've got all of my furniture picked out already.

Fabrics and finishes will always be my favorite portion of a project. It's what I'm drawn to, it's what I'm passionate about, and it's what I remember after the project is finished. I love to coordinate textures and patterns and lay it all out on my floor and play with them. I'm a touchy-feely kind of person; I love to feel. I think back to the summer of 2010, when I was deciding on school, what lead me to chose ID was because I love the aesthetics of design, how a space looks and feels, and slowly I'm discovering that that is only about 15% of the whole picture. I'm designing these spaces, making them actually work not just look good. That is sometimes not always as easy as sitting in the floor and playing with finishes. It's all a part of it, though. I will have to do it all. I'm learning, growing, spreading my wings and becoming infatuated with what I do. I wouldn't trade it for anything. The world is a better place because of designers.

I hope you all are as excited about your career as I am. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment