Monday, June 18, 2012

Royal Purple

As you all might know purple is associated with royalty, luxury, and nobility. I haven't always been a huge fan of the color but my mother and sister definitely are. When my sister lived in the basement, her room was painted purple, kind of like the Purple Periwinkle below. When she moved out and I took her spot, I wanted to paint over it with a bubble gum pink. Needless to say, it never got painted and I had to live with those purple walls and my pink and zebra decor. No fun! I don't know if it was just that shade of purple, but I never got a good taste of good purple design. Until now.

I noticed that I like more of the eggplant shade of purple. Dark, sleek, and mysterious. I wanted to explore others shades as well. I went to several paint websites and found a variety of purples - there were a ton!


When designing with purple, rememeber that it looks great with high-gloss white trim. Silver accessories are a must if you want to feel royal. Sometimes, two shades of purple (a light and dark) can work well in a space. The berry-pink shade above (Dynamo) can look great with lime green, orange, or turquoise - great for a teen's room! There's so many colors that could go well with that!

There's no doubt that these rooms are luxurious. Everything about them - the silver, high-gloss white, two shades in one.





"Let's paint those cabinets purple!" wouldn't be a phrase from my lips, but they work well in that kitchen. How are feeling about this shade? Is it something you could see yourself living in? I think now that I've seen good design I can appreciate a royal purple. I never said I would paint my house purple, but I'm getting there. Maybe a powder room!

Have a royal day!


No comments:

Post a Comment